In appreciation of all the QUAKE's fans

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by proud smurf, Dec 15, 2005.

1. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to do this thread before our board get also moved to former teams.

I want to tell you guys THANK YOU,for the good times and for everything else.You show a lot of people what to be fan is all about, I'm very proud to be part of this fan base.

Hope to see you guys on a very near future,(Feb 10 will do :D )wearing the colors of our Quakes.

See you later!

GO QUAKES! :cool:

LA LUCHA CONTINUA! (the struggle continue)

2. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    La lucha continuara my friend ! ! ! the cause and our battle will continue ! ! How far will it go ? That depends on our committment,attitude, and passion towards "THE BEAUTIFUL SPORT" & only with this deep within ourselves we will be able to approach the challenges that we have to meet ahead of us. In the past other soccer community leaders have stepped up such as the late Mr Peter Bridgewater who also fought in the name of this sport in the Bay Area along with other groups of people to meet their goals, and they were able to reach the peak of succes. Today December 15, 2005 we have the honor to have a group of individuals who also stepped up, which I am sure a lot of you would agree with me, whom I respect and admire soo much. Their enormous contribution & efforts made due to their courage, bravery,passion, and full dedication to our team & fans because of their vision. They were able to take the first step & therefore founded our grassroots organization SOCCER SILLICON VALLEY whom we shall be very proud of and keep supporting them & all thanks to their great leadership qualities. I think that we will overcome all this mess somehow, but we need to remain in solidarity and in unity in order to reach our GOAL & THEREFORE BUILD A PERMANENT HOME IN THE BAY AREA FOR OUR BELOVED " CD " EARTHQUAKES ! ! ! ! !

KEEP HOPE ALIVE ! ! ! BELIEVE & NEVER EVER GIVE UP ! ! !

3. tim hanley

tim hanley New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    Long day eh? Flew in this morning from the east coast for the 9am EQ AEG mtg. Some of you didn't even sleep last night I would imagine.

I just wanted to tell ya, you did good. All of you, every single Earthquake supporter.

Somethings one cannot control.

You did your part. You guys supported a team in, for lack a a better phrase, good times and bad. Some of you, like me, for over thirty years! Darrin? Goodsport? etc... It is in our blood uh?

There is no one entity to blame. Well maybe single entity, but thats a whole 'nother story.

You did good. You were a model of fanatic support in times when it would have been easy to pack it in. NOTHING has ever been handed to you-you had to earn it. And earn it you did. You won the MLS Cup in 2001 and 2003, the Supporters Shield in 2005. No one can ever take that away from you. Let 'em troll and snicker, everytime they try to get you-- your response is 2-1 and 4-2, 18-4-10!

What a thrill for me to be standing in front of that crowd of Supporters in Columbus 2001 when we were not even supposed to be there. And in 2003 at HDC, do you think there was a dry eyed player as they stood before you acknowledging your tremendous contributions? And to see the Earthquake blue in Colorado and KC and NY or recently Salt Lake, we saw ya, we felt you. It makes a difference.

Did you ever look over at the bench during one of your songs to see me Frank, Dom and later John, laughing at loud, sometimes going, 'what the f*** are they singing?'

I want to personally thank you and I will only speak for me but I know my fellow staff and the team would say much of the same.

You guys have been the best and we could not have done it without you.

One more thing, and this may not be for some of you. The players are owned by the league, they go to Houston, the coaches work for AEG and are under contracts of a different nature and length. I do not know who of the staff will be in Houston. Some of us have a choice, there will be a bit of kicking and screaming for sure, but I am going to ask this of you.

Go ahead and support your guys, they are after all YOUR TEAM. You may not agree with me today but I can tell you, your fanatical support would mean more to the guys than anything in the world. Do you deserve better? Yes. A team right here? Of course. But your guys are moving and there would be no disgrace in claiming another MLS Cup with your team.

The two best coaches that ever coached in SJ want to be here, the best players in the league call, they want to be in SJ because of the last five years. Professional soccer will be in San Jose. I know where I will be coaching in the future.

In your heart of hearts you know what I am talking about, you have been here before when no one would believe. At times it seems so easy to just check out, but that is not your nature. So go ahead, find some kind of joy in watching your guys play wherever they are, god knows you deserve it.

Lastly, I want you to know that yes, you did good, really good. Just like the players you adore, you left everything on the field. As a coach I could never ask for anything more.

tim

4. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    I am so friggin' sad......

5. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim,

Your post moved me to tears. Especially this part:
    I just hope that our guys know that it's not them that we hate right now. It's them who we are grieving.

Thank you Tim for everything - the last several years in goal have been phenomenal.

We will miss you dearly.

6. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The part made me sad as well..It would be nice if they schedule a preseason game at Spartan Stadium. Im gonna miss going there and watching them play.:(

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And make it against LA! :cool:

8. aael

aael New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Chico
    thanks Tim that added a different perspective to all this

9. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim's right. We should support the Houston team. It's not the players' fault. In fact once the schedule is announced I'm thinking about getting plane tickets for opening day. Or maybe we'll go to Carolina to see them at the preseason Cup there. Maybe we'll even go to a Gals or Chivas game at HDC or to Salt Lake when they play there. But I'm not buying any Houston gear from AEG - I'll wear my Quakes blue.

If I go to any of their games, I'll bring a sign that says something like "WE MISS YOU - COME BACK TO SAN JOSE"

10. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, if the players could decide they would want to play for San Jose but it's not their decision..:(

Im still going to cheer for them and hope Some of them come back to SJ when we get our team back.

11. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO! Supporting the Houston team supports AEG, supports MLS. I wish the guys luck, hope they handle the humidity, and know that the fans they left behind are crushed. But support Houston, no friggin' way. IF, IF, IF San Jose gets an MLS franchise in the future, I hope the Quakes centerback cracks down the Houston forward to the turf with a welcome back to SJ message. I support the SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES, not MLS, not Houston. Players move on. We can wish them well. It is the TEAM that I support in my hometown.

When Will Clark played 1st base for the SF Giants, I thought he could no wrong. When he left the Giants, I couldn't tell you what he did after that.

12. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Best goddamned goalkeepers coach in the league, Tim. And we know what you've done for us. Appreciate what you're saying. Can't agree with all of it. I will support the players, as individuals, but the Houston concept, can't say that I will. See you in SJ.

13. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    So Tim made me cry........I'm ballin my eyes out......God this sucks

14. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not their fault the players are leaving SJ. I'm willing to support them until we get a team of our own. And note that I'm cheering for the players, not for the Houston team in general - as trades, retirements, and drafts change the makeup of the team over time I expect I will lose interest.

As for supporting AEG, I'm not buying season tickets in Houston, though I may buy tickets to the occasional game. But not merchandise or any other $$ to AEG if I can help it.

15. Gordygooner

Gordygooner New Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Oakland, CA

I think you're on a loser there Tim - this is not about the MLS, it's about the way that AEG feels the need to turn over an identity and create another somewhere else because the sums don't add up, which in a way they don't, but hey thanks for sticking with us for another year guys.
    Talking of sums, if such a move for the Quakes staff is what's needed, has anybody thought about maybe seeking a career change? I mean, how many well-educated people on the staff, footballers and back-room might be easily able to find another job in the Bay Area? I'd say most of them. Begs the question then, if the players cared so much, why wouldn't they go on strike? Refuse to play in Houston? Is it because MLS would fill their spots with other players? Hmm, maybe, but that might a small pool on tops $50k a year, don't you think?

16. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm tapped out of green. Can someone please give some positive rep to Tim? Thanks!

-----
    And, well said Tim.

17. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    You can support the individuals players even though you don't support the Houston Whatevers.

And I certainly will be rooting for the Whatevers to win every time they play the Galaxatives.

Eventually, one by one, those who played for the 2005 Earthquakes will move on to other teams (other than Houston, that is), and only then will we be able to truly root against Houston.

18. BluByU

BluByU Member

Aug 25, 2004
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim, thanks for acknowledging the efforts of the Quakes fans. I'm so tired of hearing about the bay area fans who don't come to games or support soccer. What about those of us who do go to games, rallies, city council meetings, Club Quake/SSV events? I did everything I could think of, everything that was asked of me, and will continue to do so. Thanks for noticing those of us who also left everything we had on the field. Time now to rest up for the next round...GO QUAKES!

19. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    I think you are forgetting that players only have so many years to play so they have to take advantage of good health and youth regardless of where they are. Would you seriously counsel 23 year old Ricardo Clark to a career change? I think not! I wuold never expect any of them to give up like that. This is not the way of the Earthquake!

Note: this is in response to post #15 of this thread.

20. bluelightningdad

bluelightningdad New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    SJ Quake Area
    I really appreciate this msg, Tim. And once the sour grapes are vented, these and the positive forward-looking statements from SSV are where we all should focus. I read this post a 2nd time now, and it's really very encouraging, it comes from someone we trust, which is really a big deal considering the way things have gone down. So thanks agaiin Tim for leaving a positive image to believe in again. I do think we have a unique soccer spirit in the Bay Area, in spite of past obstacles. It may be temporarily disembodied, but I can still believe.

Go Quakes!

21. QuakesPaPa

QuakesPaPa Member

Feb 10, 2004
    California - Central Valley
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    Maybe I missed it since I was gone all day to the Cougars game but I haven't seen any references to this in any the threads. In yesterday's SJ Merc there was a full page add in the sports section showing a large team logo and a message from the Earthquakes players and staff thanking the fans for their 10 years of support. I'm still puzzling about the ad and who paid for it. Ads like that are thousands of dollars so I can't imagine that the players and staff were able to do it. Yet, AEG finally has their wish to leave San Jose so why would they pay for it? If it really was paid for by the players and staff, that is pretty impressive!

22. bluelightningdad

bluelightningdad New Member

Sep 29, 2003
    SJ Quake Area
    There was a thread or part of a thread where it was discussed. Hard to know who exactly placed the ad. I can believe the team actually DID do it, because they have emotions torn up in this trainwreck too. Some suggested AEG placed it, but that got ruled out by others since AEG obviously gave up on investing much or gaining much in SJ, so why would they put in another nickel? Someone suggested MLS, and that seemed more feasable than AEG, because they do want to mollify the angry masses, after all. So, I'd say it's 60/40 odds that the team themselves did it because they really are our guys - vs MLS did it because they just can't stop bullshyting us.

23. QuakesPaPa

QuakesPaPa Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    That makes sense. Thanks for the update.

24. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim...your entire post was amazing. Thank you so much for acknowledging the fans.

And for supporting our guys....well this is what I propose. Some of you are bitter towards AEG and not wanting to give them any money. I can understand that. BUT, there would be nothing sweeter than to see a sea of blue (EARTHQUAKES BLUE) in the corner section of HDC the first time Houston plays the Galaxy. I can't think of any other way to show the guys support, and to tell AEG to shove it all at the same time. Especially when we are chanting our Casbah chants and roll out the BAQF when they score.

We will never forget, and we will never stop fighting to get our team back in 2007.

-Tony H
    SSV Founder

25. QuakesPaPa

QuakesPaPa Member

Feb 10, 2004
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    No, I can't go along with that idea. AEG wouldn't even notice. Our time and money can be spent much more effectively.