Toronto MLS described as "slam dunk"

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BringBackTheBlizzard, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Lets hope this is the turning point for canadian soccer.
    Pro soccer finally returning to Toronto........ :) :) :)

2. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Again toronto has pro soccer people need to wake up and go and support the lynx.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    And if they do support the lynx, its more likely an MLS team will come.

4. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    It is take salt lake the fan support they gave there team went along ways getting them the mls team.

5. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I don't know about that. Salt Lake kind of came out of nowhere. Rochester supports their club better than a couple of MLS markets, but since they didn't yet have a stadium they're not in the big time. Whenever people on these fora discussed the candidates for MLS expansion, Rochester was always on everyone's mind. Salt Lake less so. But SLC has a stadium coming down the pike and an appropriate interim venue. Rochester has the stadium under construction, but you can't have MLS matches in a minor league ballpark.

6. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Salt lake did not come out of the dark they have been on the list of possible market for years now.And over the past 1 or two there attendance has been good and opened some eyes.Even gerber is saying toronto is a slam dunk there are other peopl at mls that are not thinking that way and at the end of the day it is not up to gerber.

7. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Dude, they've been playing in Division Three. Their attendence is exceptional for D3, but it's hardly proof positive that Polygamy City is the Tobacco Road of soccer.

8. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    You are so wrong. It is because of one man, Dave Checketts, and his money that MLS is in Salt Lake. (BTW, the commissioner's name is Garber)

9. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to pile up on you, my man, but if Salt Lake City was "on the list" for years, so was every city above 500K people. I would really like to see a list of 10 cities from before last season that had Salt Lake on it.

My introduction to these boards was through the MLS Expansion forum, where people from all over the country regularly google "MLS expansion" just to see if anything new comes up - Salt Lake was never mentioned until reallly late in the game. Even then, a lot of people didn't believe it.

I agree with you regarding the Lynx - yes, go out and support your club. But I don't think it will make much of a difference to MLS brass.

10. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I can't wait until we have a MLS team. I just have a question for you guys. Does MLS have regulation?

What about our Toronto Lynx? I've been to a few Lynx game at Varsity stadium, I remember them playing Italian Series A football club Reggina 5 years ago and lost 2-0. That was fairly exciting. I am just wondering how is the United Sover League compared to MLS? I hope MLS is a much higher level compared to United Soccer League.

The waterfront stadium's capacity is only 35000. I am wondering why didn't our government built one for 50000 - 60000. It's about time we grab an awsome stadium so that not only MLS comes to Toronto, but also NFL.

11. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Can someone please explain to me how the United Soccer League works? The Lynx is in the A-league. They also have reserves from MLS teams. A Pro-Soccer league as well. I am getting confused. Is there relegation or something?

12. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm assuming you mean "relegation", and the answer is no. MLS is just like every other North American-style sports league where each team is considered a "franchise" rather thgan a "club".

The Lynx are still around, except now they play at Centennail Park Stadium in west Toronto. As for USL vs. MLS, MLS is definitely a step up, and as time goes on, I think the gap will grow even wider.

Waterfront stadium? If you're referring to SkyDome (now known officially as "Rogers Centre"), it has a baseball capacity over just over 50,000 and a football/soccer capacity of 55,000. We are not going to get a bigger stadium than the 'Dome in Toronto for the next 20 years, and we don't really need it anyways.

13. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    The gov does not build stadium the will loan money or in the case of the big tournemant in 07 each city will be given an equal amount to upgrade there stadiums.There are two many citys that need new stadiums or arenas the gov can not pick one city and pay for whole chunck.As for the nfl that will never happen the cfl and nfl have a deal where they need approval from that league of the country to host a game or have a team.The past 3 years the nfl has wanted to bring a game toronto and vancouver but was blocked by the cfl.

14. CowbellFever

CowbellFever New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    DC
    [​IMG]

Did somebody say Slam Dunk?

15. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

Thanks to topdogg and jaydog for your replies.

No relegation? that's sucks. I think MLS can use USL as a relegation league. It's already in place.

No NFL for 20 years?that's sucks too. I can't believe I am stuck with CFL for a long time. I don't think NFL recognizes Rogers Centre to be a qualified stadium for NFL expansion, but that's irrelevant now since CFL and NFL made a deal.

As for jaydog's reply. I am a little dissapointed that the government won't support another stadium for Toronto. Seeing how Toronto generates so much revenue for the entire nation, it really doesn't hurt to give some back to the city. If we got the olympics, I bet we would of had a new Waterfront stadium. Oh well.

16. jaydog2008

jaydog2008 New Member

Jan 19, 2003
    The gov will not pay the whole chunck for a new stadium for any city.There are other citys that need new stadiums just as bad as toronto ottawa,vancouver,
    montreal,quebec city,winninpeg,hamilton.They can not say yes we will give you all the cash you need but the other citys have to raise the money on there own.Toronto does not really raise all the money for canada.The csa wants a new stadium in ottawa for exzample as this is where the csa is located they want to have ottawa as well as other citys hold events but yes the money for these parks is a big probleam.

17. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    The government will not subsidize a new stadium for Toronto because they paid $500 million for a stadium that is obsolete after only fifteen years. The Rogers Centre is not even a temporary home for an NFL team. If Toronto wants the NFL, you'll need a 68,000-seat, retractable roof stadium with lots of parking. And the provincial and/or municipal governments will have to pay for the whole thing. That's looking like another billion. By the way, Rogers just bought the former SkyDome for $25 million. It cost $500 million to build and is now worth $25 million. When you adjust for inflation, that's a bigger turkey than Olympic Stadium.

The Blue Jays are in an impossible position. They play in an obsolete venue. They're at best a break-even proposition. They're stuck in the same division with the two richest and biggest-spending clubs in the game. Unless the Yankees or Red Sox suffer some calamity, the Jays can't hope to crack that hegemony. This has made their fans apathetic. They only draw well when the Yankees or the Red Sox are visiting. It cloys Toronto fans that they've been relegated to small market status.

18. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    That's what I thought. Skydome isn't good enough for NFL. However, if toronto go the Olympic bid, we would have a new stadium and it would have worked.

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    money is the root of all evil and so is ted rogers billionaire bitch!

20. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    No one would say that the Rogers Centre is a dump. It's just out-moded. It was built for baseball and football just when that went out of fashion. They missed the boat. By the way, if you want to look down your nose at Argonauts it's your loss.

21. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is this yet another Chretien relative at the Gomery inquiry??

22. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    CFL had its days. Warren Moon, Doug Flutie........... but those days are gone. It's a league for 8 teams. It just doesn't excite me at all.

I want NFL damn it, give me NFL or give me death. I don't mean just the Bills, I want a Toronto NFL team. now now now.

I know I know, it's not going to happen for a while.

23. Joe MacCarthy

Joe MacCarthy New Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Man, some of you Toronto guys make me laugh. Cool if you don't like the CFL but the NFL is so 80's. There isn't going to be a (handoff, 3 and fall) team in TO anytime soon. I wouldn't hold my breath. The days of building 60,000 seat stadiums are long gone.

The CFL is a great business model for those who have the brains to pursue it. ie Bob Young. The guys that dis the CFL are the same type of guys who support soccer in the old country. Poseurs!

It's all about money. Up until the 70's when the CFL could compete with salaries players came north. Pretty much everybody says it's a better game just not as much hype and not as much dough.

By the way there is no CFL/NFL agreement per se as posted before. There was a 5 million cash loan and CFL players in their option year had a window of opportunity to try out for NFL clubs. Can't remember if it was renewed this year but the loan has been repaid.

The NFL always liked having the CFL around as they were protection from anti-trust actions.

The CFL is truly a great story. Way older than the NFL (first Grey Cup 1909), good following, fell from grace in the 80s and lost a generation of fans in central Canada. Montreal fans got the message, revived football in Quebec, and TSN helped recreate a brand for a new generation of fans. Get the Aspers to buy Ottawa and you will have nine very succesful franchises. Ten when you add the Schooners in Halifax. Where are the Irvings when you need them?

24. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    The loan has been repaid, and I think it was more like $3 million. The prospects for the CFL are looking brighter than ever before. With stability in Toronto and Hamilton, expansion to the Maritimes, and all but five games on national television; the CFL is a model of rebirth. The days of Doug Flutie are long gone, and the CFL is better for it.