USMNT Gems from Wynalda today

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, May 20, 2006.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Kasey Keller is the best GK in the World";)

"It's important that a GK be comfortable and used to the surroundings but it does not matter for field players":rolleyes:

"Morocco is an African team so the game will prepare us for Ghana":confused:

I turned off the game at HT,did he add any more brilliance??

2. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    He actually admitted that something wasn't all about himself. "My 37th birthday isn't as important as the World Cup" after he pointed out his birthday is during the first day of the WC.

3. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    wow. that last one is a real winner. also.. the morocco ghana connection is great.

like poland has a black player thus playing them will prepare us for ghana.

or I contracted herpes from a lady-of-the-night before a qualifier in nicaragua... which ought to prepare us for ghana.

4. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    "Here's the thing. Morroco's in Africa *brief pause* and so is Ghana."

Just thought I'd sneak Celo in this also.

5. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I was laughing so hard on many of his comments I can't remember many.

I think at one point he was mentioning NATS players headed to Germany and listed Brian McChing as one of the forwards.

I may have been hearing things at that point.

6. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Brian Ching is Brian McBride with a tan

7. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA

apparently you weren't. he said some guys on the national team were calling bring ching bring mcching.

i also don't understand why you guys don't think that playing an african team will prepare you for an african team. there is definitly a style that most african teams play, just like most latin american teams play the same style, and most asian teams play the same style. seems like a valid point to me.

8. Dirty_South_Futbol

Dirty_South_Futbol New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    On the road
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except the McBride without the tan is far better as a soccer player than the darker "McBride" you are referencing.

9. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I would still much rather listen to him than Celo!

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US and Mexico are both North American teams. Do we play the same style??

England and Spain are both European teams, do they play the same style?

And the African style you are thinking of is probably more that of Ghana than Morocco.

11. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe because one is north African and the other is sub-Saharan, entirely different peoples & cultures. It's about as absurd as claiming playing Canada will prepare you for playing Mexico. Or Bahrain for Japan, etc.

12. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me, Celo's a buffoon, but Wynalda's just arrogant and annoying. I'd rather hear (or tune out) ridiculous commentary about the game than a commentator who just tries to talk about himself at every opportunity. "You know, I was a forward, and so therefore..."

But speaking of the buffoon, how'd you like Celo at the Champion's League final? I thought he did alright, for him, considering I cringed every time he spoke hoping he wouldn't say something completely stupid.

13. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wynalda is arrogant and sometimes annoying, but he also is interesting.

Celo has nothing to say and a poor way of expressing it.

His commentary during the Champion's League Final was painful to hear.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wynalda is a blowhard. But Morrocco is not the worst we could do to tune up for the WC and of the team we will be facing they will be most like Ghana, not neccessarily because of the continent they inhabit, but still, they are less like CR or Italy than Ghana.

I hope we get to see Bousoufa's debut. Morocco's got some big backs. They can be physical. They just can't score to save their lives.

15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give you the interesting, I suppose.

The most painful thing about Celo at Champion's League was his obvious affectation of an "American" sportscasting style, this blustery spitting out of whatever ridiculous thing he was trying to say. The Brits do it with a lot more class, and they know their shit backwards & forwards.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Yeah, whenever David Pleat subtley refers to his drinking problem I think to myself, "What class, it's like wiping your ass with silk". Or when the guy who did the FA cup final kept talking about how old he was I was all like, "Thank God he's English otherwise this would suck".

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come now Bob,Let's not forget the dulcet tones and linguistic subtleties of Andy Gray.

18. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I was taking a leak yesterday before the Dynamo game when I looked over to see a guy primping in front of the mirror. It was none other than Wynalda.

We talked while I finished my business and he primped for the mirror and rode the elevator back up to the pressbox together (it's a long ride as anyone who has been in it will confirm). We talked about what he'll be doing in the WC (studio analysis) and about how great he thinks O'Brien's voice is ("he has a great voice") and that was about it.

Not an extremely outgoing guy but he was nice enough to talk to a stranger (even when I semi-jokingly called him a grouch) and to hold the elevator for some stragglers.

On a side note, I sit just on the other side of the glass from where the video guys do their thing and yesterday was the first time all season I could hear the announcers. O'Brien gets loud as hell (don't know if it came across on TV) and Wynalda even joined in a couple times.

Maybe it was just because the Dynamo had 5,000 less people in the crowd than they usually do so things were quieter.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i think celo was ok during the CL Final... he jus repeated a lot of what Tommy Smyth and other commentators would say

20. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    To be fair to him, the PbP guy kept forcing him to talk with "what do you think Marcelo?"

Balboa was correct to stay quiet for much of the time and let the action on the field speak for itself.

21. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Right--Andy Gray after a player breaks another's leg and is sent off..."Well, the ref is being very harsh there. You just have to let them play..." etc. Nothing short of felony manslaughter warrants a card, in Gray's commentary.

22. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    or perhaps ghanarea

23. wooglin12

wooglin12 Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    derek probably did that because he knew that woman haired fruitcup could do as little damage as possible by getting him to just spit out what derek and tommy had just said. seriously, i dont think he really had an original idea other than to condone eboue's blatant dive.

24. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually a Wynalda basher, but thought his Saturday work was done well. He didn't sound like himself, but more professional. As for the birthday comment, I didn't think it was bad at all. He did mention that it is also Heather Mitt's birthday too, so it wasn't completely about him.

As for The Brits doing it with a lot more class and knowing their shite in both directions..........this is completely false. They can be the biggest clueless bunch on the planet. For example: Today during the Leeds vs. Watford promotion championship match the highly intelligent limey stated that Demerit, who is a yank, did not get called up for World Cup squad. Yet failed to mention how he's never been capped either. I can only say BRILLANT!!! Tools, nothing but tools with an accent which makes it soooo intelligent.

25. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is how Judy Dench gets nominated for Best Actress Oscars for appearing in her family's home movies.

It took the academy years to catch on to what a ham Anthony Hopkins was.