Checketts Says Soccer Stadium Deal is Dead

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kenntomasch, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    That's it. That is what is missing from most of the play-by-play/color teams in the sport in the US. I also like the guy who does DC United's games on Comcast but he needs a counterpart to do color and the same with that guy who does FC Dallas's radio broadcasts.

Who would you consider the best? Note: You can not name yourself :p (though you're not bad and i'd put you up there with Sean Wheelock).

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would it be integral to their survival? The Mariners survive without teams in Vancouver or Portland. The Seahawks survive without teams in Vacouver or Portland. The Canucks survive without teams in Seattle or Portland. If the Sonics leave Seattle, the Blazers should survive without teams in Vancouver or Seattle.

3. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Bring back the Blitzz in USL-1!

Vancouver, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake, San Francisco, and Minnesota. Nice.

USL should be waiting to pounce on that.

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, God, all the way up there?! Be still my heart.

JP's the best we have. JP and Shep are the best team we have, IMHO. Brad Sham is also excellent, IMHO. I have a long way to go to get to that territory.

As for Rochester, if it's just negotiating the amount, it's definitely not ignorant to think that Rochester could be a relocation candidate. That's just a business transaction to be negotiated.

IF, indeed, the RSL deal falls through and Checketts has had it, then MLS has a problem market. How best to deal with that problem? Move it to another unproven market where you have to fight the fight for a stadium all over again? Or make a deal that you and DuRoss can live with, get a virtually ready-made market with a stadium and an infrastructure and a proven ownership group and go from there.

Doesn't mean that'll happen, but that's a far cry from an ignorant scenario.

Now, if there's more to the story in Rochester, if they'd rather stay in USL-1, that's great for them. More power to them. If they would rather wait a few more years, that's great, too. I'm all in favor of people having their ducks in a row first and feeling comfortable with such a move. If they want to start a franchise from scratch, that's up to them.

So that's why I asked, what is it those of us who would look on the surface and think that Rochester would be at least a possibility for relocation are missing?

Their relative proximity is integral to their survival at the USL level, where dollars are in shorter supply. And MLS has made it 11 years so far without what you'd consider a real solid Yankees-Red Sox type rivalry.

If I was any of those three teams, I'd love to have the other two in. But I wouldn't live or die with or without the other two.

5. JerseyTexan

JerseyTexan New Member

Jul 26, 2006
    We're talking USL budgets, not MLB or NHL budgets. They are the only USL-1 teams on the west coast. Thier other nearest club is in Minnesota which is not exactly a bus trip.

Monetary reasons aside, these teams (or should I say their fans) all have a real desire to beat the other 2 teams; they have all been hating on each other since the 70's when they were NASL clubs (the names were at least). NY & DC hate each other but that's what, 12 years old? Nothing fuels passion for a team like a rival. I imagine it wouldn't be nearly as fun to be a BoSox fan if the Yanks weren't around.

Not being argumentative, just my 2 cents.

6. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :( :( :( I remember RSL's first home game...

GOOD LUCK RSL fans!!!

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mayor's statement (link):

Interesting.

8. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    But it is very unrealistic to believe all 3 could or would enter -at-the-same-time-

Someone has to be first and Vancouver will not be allowed or even ready until 2010, Seattle if you talk to people here could happen next year or never, Portland is the only city with a stadium ready for a relocated or expansion club.

Now as far as rivalries, new ones would likely form. Portland and San Jose? Who knows.

9. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Very. I wonder if it is real or if the 27.5 million number is just a ruse...

10. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    No stadium. Aloha was locked into the wrong configuration for soccer this year.

11. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? Where?

And don't mention that baseball stadium they play in right now as that's not going to work for MLS. DCU is trying to get OUT of a baseball stadium right now...I doubt another team wants to work hard to get into another.

12. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Why would anyone even consider an MLS club in Hawaii, wasn't Team Hawaii in NASL one of the reasons that league folded?

Has transportation cost and time gone down since then?

I remember watching Once In A Lifetime, and i remember one of the quotes from that film was "We had no business having a team in Hawaii."

Are any other pro sports teams based in Hawaii?

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering Team Hawaii played its one and only year in 1977 and the league didn't fold until 1985, that's an even weaker cause-and-effect relationship than the one you postulated about Toronto and Salt Lake's USL teams priming the pump for the success of their MLS teams.

14. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    You have to walk before you can run.

By the way that "baseball stadium" like RFK was originally not built for Baseball. In reality PGE is more of a football/soccer stadium than baseball which is one reason the owner of the Beavers would like a new stadium.

So my question to you is this, which scenario would be more attractive:

MLS in Seattle, a city which flat out has voted for no funds to support or build stadiums and whose USL-1 club receives mostly tepid support and nearly non-existent coverage in the local media and whose only option is playing in the cavernous Qwest paying god knows what for rent and at the mercy of someone elses schedule.

MLS in Portland where the USL club already has die hard, core soccer supporters, where a stadium exists which has hosted soccer and done well doing so, where the only obstacles are on a smaller scale than in Seattle. Building a minor league baseball stadium and taking over and upgrading PGE still likely to costs less than building an MLS SSS in an unproven soccer market. Additionally, the Portland media covers the Timbers. Even in a worse case scenario, rent at PGE is likely far less than at Qwest.

Qwest Field: 67,000

PGE Park: 19,566

15. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    i admit, my knowledge of NASL history is lacking. (The league went under when I was 3 years old.) I only remember that quote from the Cosmos movie.

Has any professional sports team done well in Hawaii?

16. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ooook, that STILL doesn't prove that PGE Park will be a viable venue for an MLS side. Who's going to control revenue streams? Priority schedulling? And that crap about an "unproven soccer market" is just that.

-SLC was an "unproven soccer market" yet they average consistently in the top 3 since they've been in existence.

-Qwest Field was COMPLETELY SOLD OUT for the DCU-Real Madrid match

-COMPLETELY SOLD OUT for the ManU-Celtic match a few years back

-Had the highest World Cup tv ratings of any non-MLS city.

The Sounders already get a sweetheart revenue sharing deal at Qwest Field and get awesome scheduling during the summer as well. That would be a perfect place for an MLS team temporarily while a stadium is being built. Furthermore, they don't have to rush to get out of there like RSL has to do with Rice-Eccles.

Portland is a great market, but to diminish Seattle as a market in return is pretty silly.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How, exactly?

18. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

California is also quite liberal, that didn't help the SJ Earthquakes now did it?

Best of luck to RSL fans . . . I'm not counting you out until the official MLS Press Release says you're moving. There's still time left in this match.

19. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My condolences to the RSL fans...this really sucks to see that politicians in your state have such a lack of vision. I remember when Ken Behring almost moved the Seahawks to LA...seeing the moving vans outside the Kingdome on the news was really gut-wrenching. Luckily the team was sold to the right investor: Paul Allen! Hopefully, Checketts will sell the team to an investor with enough assets to keep the team in Utah...'cause RSL supporters have shown that they deserve an MLS franchise!

20. cwt9

cwt9 New Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Yes, you can buy a ticket to Hawaii from NYC for less than $600 today. Galaxy & Chivas players can get to Hawaii in less time than NY/DC/NE

The fact that Honolulu has no other pro-team would make it a plus in my book. It makes no sense for MLB to have a team there as they play a million games per season. MLS teams have 15-16 home games/year and each Eastern conference team would have to make the trip once a year. I doubt many players would object.

21. BenchRobSmith

BenchRobSmith New Member

Hawaii's Pacific Coast League baseball team, the Hawaii Islanders, lasted 25 years and led the minor leagues in attendance in 1970. For a number of years (the late 60s), they were the model franchise in the minors and a massive box-office draw.

Things went south in the 80s...they ping-ponged from major league parent club to parent club and attendance suffered.

But, yeah, there is precedent for pro sports success in Hawaii.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RFK was built for baseball, namely the Washington Senators. (And it was also built for the Redskins, but that's not an issue.) To say otherwise is to be completely ignorant of history.

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's now permanently in the football config, not baseball.

But that's beside the point -- the problem isn't the travel for the teams from the continent to Hawaii, it's the travel for the team that plays in Hawaii. It's seven months worth of constant unshakable jetlag. That, and the Honolulu population is under 400,000, under 1 million in the MSA, far smaller than any other MLS city.

24. Jesus Christ, you're an idiot.

25. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fellow Seattleite, I agree with Sempu...Qwest would be a great temporary home for an MLS team! I've always dreamt of having an MLS team in Seattle. And besides, Qwest was specifically built to house both football and soccer. Now, yes, MLS games wouldn't sell out Qwest, but I can really envision Qwest getting an adequate enough attendance to support a franchise. Plus, it is located in an ideal transportation hub...heck, you could even take a train there from the state capitol (which is 60 miles south of Seattle). But to be honest...I find it hard to believe that Seattle would support a new SSS. 1) They didn't support a new stadium/upgrade for the Sonics...they might have a stadium elsewhere outside of Seattle (in Renton or Bellevue), but that remains to be seen (please correct me if I'm wrong on that Sempu). 2) It's already assumed that a stadium for soccer exists in Seattle: Qwest. Qwest was publicised as a "football and soccer" stadium from the beginning...so, most people in Seattle might ask, why do we need a "football and soccer" stadium and a "Soccer Specific" stadium???