CL Last 16 First Leg: Roma - Shakhtar Donetsk (Feb.16th, 2011) [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Henchag, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We are welcoming in the olimpico Shakhtar Donetsk . The second trip to eastern europe will be hard, so we need to get a good result in this game.
    This is Shakhtar's first official game in 2011, as there league stops through a 2 - 3 month period I think. They are already in Rome as well since yesterday ( Saturday Febraruy 12 2011).( http://shakhtar.com/en/news/15949 ) . This might be a good sign as Shakhtar might not be match fit, or it maybe a bad sign as Shakhtar have only been preparing for this game for a month.

- We are only team in last 16 to have not kept any cleensheet in all our six games. We must keep a cleensheet at Home !!!!
    - We have won five of our last six home games in Champions League. Our record was so good in Serie A as well before playing NaBoli and Brescia.I hope we dont screw up here.
    - In 2006 - 2007 we were drawn against Shakhtar in group stage. We won them 4 - 0 At Home, and lost 1 - 0 away.
    - Shakhtar have lost all six away European games in Italy.

Okey, the champions league will take alot of energy out of us. Other then the fact on the weekend Napoli tried to take us mentally off the game, it could very well be our players were so much out of the game mentally and were so much tempered because of this particulare game vs Shakhtar in mind.

FORZA ROMAAAAAAAAAAA!

2. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    At last no negativety from your side :) Must win, and must qualify for at least the next round (I am gathering the transfer money for the summer)...Also, we must finish top 4 in serie A this year and that should be our objective from this point on...We need those millions of euros to spend in the summer and I think CL is the only place we can get it

3. zako

zako Member+

May 11, 2006
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Can we play a full strength squad for CL? Something like

J.Sergio
    Cassetti Mexes Juan Riise
    DDR Pizarro
    Menez Perrotta Vucinic
    Totti

4. Henchag

Henchag Member+

Aug 26, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Spalletti's Roma trashing Shakhtar Donetsk 4 - 0

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfhutLZMPk"]YouTube - As Roma vs Shakhtar 4-0 Taddei - Totti - De Rossi - Pizarro[/ame]

5. Shakhtar11

Shakhtar11 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Essex, England
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    Hi people. I'm a big fan of Shakhtar and really looking forward to this match on wednesday :D I have no idea what the score will be on in the first leg if i'm honest but i feel we will most likely win the second leg in the Ukraine. Being an Italian team i don't think you will like the speed in which we will try to play at so if I was Ranieri i would want to keep the ball as much as possible and control the pace of the game.

We definately cannot be under estimated and it will probably only be a goal either way in the end of the two legs. :D

1 person likes this.
  6. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ah, that was fun to watch and that cross makes me wish we had Pizarro at our disposal. He controls everything so well in the middle and I think he is our top corner man. I remember his goal from that game since he does not score that many. I forgot about Ferrari and of course seeing Mancini again after his long bench warming stint at Inter :)

Forza Roma!

7. Gio-13

Gio-13 Member

Aug 26, 2007
    watching skywalkers
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    True some of that, but we're so preseason right now, don't you remember we always suck first 4-5 games (watching Dubai Cup and helplessness of our defence later on Copa del Sol and UNT matches wasn't really comforting experience) which some season cost us as much as eurocompetions instanly?
    This and only this make me think that Roma are clear favourites at our clash due to circus defending. As that 4:0 embarassment where Shakhtar dominated most of the time really. And I guess we may dominate again, but that's not nowhere near means that we would win or manage to get a draw at Rome. We're not ready for speed possession all the game.

8. Shakhtar11

Shakhtar11 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Essex, England
    Club:
    FC Shakhtar Donetsk
    Yeah i agree. I like the fact that Lucescu has taken the team to Rome early and not the day before like other team sometimes do. I watched them against Napoli saturday and i really wasn't impressed at all with the defence and the attack was pretty toothless. I think if we leave Rome with a draw or even if we are losing 1-0 or 2-1 i will fancy our chances if im honest. Really hope we get an away goal atleast. :D

9. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Vucinic has a "fever" and will likely miss the match, also Julio Sergio abandoned training due to some muscular problems.

10. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    It's official, Ranieri has to GO!!!

11. Romanista89

Romanista89 Member+

Jun 8, 2010
    Glasgow, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If it's true that Vucinic will miss this game, I'm gutted. I honestly don't have a clue what to expect on Wednesday. It could be another drab display or we could see a reaction from the terrbile performance against Napoli. God only knows

12. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No Vuci? Christ, sounds like another horror story.

13. stugotz

stugotz Member+

May 20, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly, I'm really worried this is where our season completely falls apart. If we get knocked out of CL, it's not too big a deal, I don't expect us to get much further than the next round anyway, but with the game against Inter and Napoli....This team looks completely deflated, no one cares right now. And really if the team is going to piss away CL this year and next year, as well as piss away our 10th Coppa Italia...I'd say blow the team up. I love this team with a passion, I love Vucinic, Menez, Mexes, Totti, De Rossi...but if these guys are just going to quit and piss everything they worked for away because they don't like the coach, get rid of them, All of them. You can hate your coach but have some ****ing pride.

14. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It will be interesting which type of tactics both clubs use and also how rusty Shakhtar Donetsk might be.

15. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think we are going to see a patched up Roma tonight. A lot of people are suffering small injuries and problems.

On ReteSport they speculated:

Doni
    Cassetti - Mexes - Burdisso - Riise
    Taddei - Simplicio - De Rossi - Perrotta
    Totti - Menez​

Borriello has problems with his knee, Vucinic also has some problems and has been playing with pain the last couple of matches, plus I read he had a fever yesterday. Julio Sergio abandoned training yesterday due to muscular problems.

Squad list:

1 BOGDAN LOBONT
    3 PAOLO CASTELLINI
    4 JUAN SILVEIRA DOS SANTOS
    5 PHILIPPE MEXES
    9 MIRKO VUCINIC
    10 FRANCESCO TOTTI
    11 RODRIGO FERRANTE TADDEI
    16 DANIELE DE ROSSI
    17 JOHN ARNE RIISE
    20 SIMONE PERROTTA
    22 MARCO BORRIELLO
    23 LEANDRO GRECO
    29 NICOLAS BURDISSO
    30 SIMPLICIO FABIO HENRIQUE
    32 DONIEBER ALEXANDER MARANGON (DONI)
    33 MATTEO BRIGHI
    45 STEFANO PETTINARI
    77 MARCO CASSETTI
    94 JEREMY MENEZ

16. DDR

DDR Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
  17. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Dude everybody has a better site then ours.

18. AStacks90

AStacks90 Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Hahaha completely true. And this literally includes most of Serie B.

19. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma

Oh so very true, I could made a better website than ours when I was back in school

20. iGiallorossi

iGiallorossi Member+

Oct 4, 2010
    N.Ireland
    Club:
    AS Roma
    God I miss seeing number 7 in the squad list :(

Tommorrows gonna be a horrible match I think without Vuci, even if Menez plays its not like Totti and Borriello could keep up with him meaning wasted crosses into an empty box

21. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yuck! Reading this made me feel sick since we will probably play worse than the match against Napoli. Glad I won't be able to watch the game tomorrow.

22. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Despite all of the negativity and loss of hope that we have all experienced lately, we need to win this game today. The players need a reminder that they are capable of winning and maybe this could be a good confidence booster for them. Also, Serie A needs better representation in the CL, were not gonna get it from Milan this year, so its up to us and Inter. We may be a poor squad when you factor in everything that has happened, but were better than this. We can beat Shakhtar. Forza Roma!

23. Ragnaroz

Ragnaroz Member+

Jan 31, 2010
    Paracin
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia
    We do really need to pick up some confidence if we want CL next season. It's far from unreachable, only 2 points if we beat Bologna.

24. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I want to watch this game.... hmmm leave work early

25. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    FSC has decided to show Arsenal-Barcelona (I dont blame them :p).... Anywhere that we can watch Roma on TV in the USA?