2024-25 Borussia Dortmund Season General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by BVBFNM, Jun 2, 2024.

1. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We finished the 2023-24 season trophyless once again, with yet another early DFB-Pokal exit (our most realistic target), we didn't even challenge for the Bundesliga finishing 5th and the only reason we're playing in next season's CL is due to points earned by BL clubs in European tournaments. The only positive thing was our unexpected deep run in the CL where we got all the way to the final, but our hopes of winning a second CL title were doomed from the start because we lost the opening match, which one must NEVER do if you want to win the CL, and of course we faced Real Madrid who are inmune to losing CL finals, and on a personal note I'm left with the bitter reality that I never got to witness Mats Hummels, my all-time favourite footballer, win the CL with BVB. Marco Reus has sealed his place in football history as an eternal pretender, the black sheep in a very successful generation of German footballers.

Evaluating Terzić's two full seasons with the club here's the report card: an unexpected title challenge during the second half of the 2023-24 Bundesliga season after a disastrous first half which culminated in one of the biggest chokes in football history on the final matchday vs Mainz, followed by a second season in which BVB didn't challenge at all, two early DFB-Pokal exits, a last 16 embarrassing CL exit vs a piss-poor Chelsea who didn't play any European football this season and barely qualified for next season's Conference League, followed by the aforementioned unexpected deep run this past season. Terzić has so far proven himself to be wildly inconsistent, particularly when it comes to the Bundesliga.

This season Terzić needs to prove he can be consistent enough in the BL to actually win it, and fortunately his contract renewal will depend on precisely that according to reports, and it also seems that having Nuri Şahin (might leave this summer) and Sven Bender has helped.

We MUST win the DFB-Pokal so we can equal Werder Bremen, and then aim to surpass them as the club with the second-most DFB-Pokal titles.

Regarding the CL, we're just not gonna win it because the final is in München and every time the final was played there a brand new Champion emerged, so we'll have to settle for a deep run once again.

I just hope the recent deep run in the CL has hardened the core players enough to mount a proper BL title challenge this season.

2. thisisthelife

thisisthelife Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Bulgaria
    Looks like Terzic will not be head coach next season.

Most likely Sahin will take over.

3. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sounds like Terzic asked to end the contract from what I've read. But him making that decision could also be a result of the talks they had.

4. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm pretty sure Terzić will have quite a few offers from other clubs, after all he took BVB all the way to a CL final when absolutely no one saw it coming.

I guess this also means Mats Hummels will stick around for one more season.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For all the (legit) questions about player choice and tactics, he had Dortmund in first going into the final weekend last year before the terrible draw with Mainz and got them to the CL final this year. There are better options out there but Terzic has proven he's at least a good manager and it wouldn't surprise me if the first Bundesliga team that feels they're under-performing next season fires their manager and brings in Terzic.

He would also make sense for someone like a Torino or Brighton.

BVBFNM repped this.
  6. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm guessing @TimBenneth is celebrating right now, as he wanted Terzić out.

TimBenneth repped this.
  7. Arlo

Arlo Member

Nov 9, 2005
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    its ironic how many forgot an absolute disaster of a season we had just cuz we made to cl final by a miracle

BVBFNM and lamcam repped this.
  8. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Local fans mostly.

The only reason we're in next season's CL is due to the coefficient points gained and the expanded format.

9. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Halla Fukin Lluja! thank God. Turdic out and the Weaselkuk resigning... Christmas came early.

I can't stand this guy. He pushed out Reus, Dahoud, Guerreiro, his tactics are complete garbage, he has ostracized all the younger players JBG, Moukoko. Like this guy, was a walking disaster!

Good riddance.

i am very looking forward to Sahin taking over, i think the first year will be pretty terrible from Sahin, but the year after is when we should judge him.

10. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    HappY DAYS! LoooL

BVBFNM repped this.
  11. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Remember Watzke will retire after the 2024-25 season.

TimBenneth repped this.
  12. TimBenneth

TimBenneth Member

Borussia Dortmund
    Uruguay
    May 10, 2017
    Don't remind me! : (

13. BvB_Peon

BvB_Peon Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    What do you think about Nuri Sahin being the coach now?!

14. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I hope he can mount a proper title challenge in the Bundesliga and go win the DFB-Pokal. As for the CL another deep run would be nice.

15. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

16. hava

hava Member+

Apr 30, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Very doable group, even with the possibility of getting close to the top 8 in the rankings.
    Top 8 to reach the next round directly, 9-24 have to go through one additional knockout round.
    Given that group, not getting at least top 16 would be a failure.

BVBFNM repped this.